Bang is an artists’ run center. It supports artistic creation and offers a diversity of cultural activities open to the public and free of charge.
Its 6 exhibition rooms allow the diffusion of works of art and its specialized bookshop offers a selection of titles on art. A residency program for professional artists offers research-creation periods over several months.
The Bang centre has an unconditional commitment to audacity and experimentation. This audacity is embodied in the way we work with artists and think about the strategic development of the organization, whether it is to appropriate the potential of digital technology, collaborate with intersectoral partners or even affirm our difference as an organization in peripheral regions.
Bang is a non-profit organization (NPO) based on a membership structure. Eleven members of the corporation are elected to form a board of governors. The centre employs 8 people who are responsible for artistic activities, the bookstore and the management and development of the organization.
We program our activities to support the work of emerging and established artists from Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, Quebec, Canada and abroad.
The Bang Centre community wishes to establish the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region as a leader and a key player in the field of contemporary art and digital culture in Quebec.
The Bang Centre is a regional development partner and an economic player that works to recognize the expertise developed by artist-run centres.
The vision carried by the Bang Centre involves the creation of new knowledge, innovation and the sharing of know-how between the different sectors of activity of our society to develop distinctive, relevant and useful common approaches. This vision is reflected in the Bang Centre’s relationship with artists and partners.
Consequently, the Bang Centre claims the need for art and the artist in society and seeks to position them as centres that bear witness to the evolution of society, by offering a constructive critical look at the various challenges of the contemporary era.
This vision is based on freedom of expression, access to art and culture, the need for a society to respect the importance of the artist’s work.
The values of the Bang center are:
- Trust, which is achieved by respecting each other’s areas of expertise and a strong desire for complementarity.
- Transparency in its objectives and actions, which favours collaborative work with its partners.
- A committed responsibility to artists, cultural workers and the community, which is reflected in its ongoing commitment to support the collective needs of the cultural community.
- A strong sense of professionalism in all its interventions and services offered to artists and the community.
- An unconditional commitment to innovation as a way of developing and sustaining the organization and as a vehicle for social and cultural development.
Board of Directors